Walks like a duck Quacks like a Duck No One Knows the KKK Better Than Harry Belafonte, NOT EVEN THE KKK
Put simply, poverty is a mainstream event experienced by a majority of Americans. For most of us, the question is not whether we will experience poverty, but when.
Millions of people could qualify for federal subsidies that will pay the entire monthly cost of some health care plans being offered in the online marketplaces set up under President Obama’s health care law.
#UNITEBLUE Color of Change
On December 8, 2011, the advocacy group Color of Change announced a call to boycott ALEC corporate members for their alleged support of voter ID laws. On April 4, 2012, after the Trayvon Martin shooting, Color of Change changed the boycott to focus on The Coca-Cola Company for its support of ALEC and by implication, their involvement in Stand your Ground. Within hours, Coca-Cola announced it was ending its relationship with ALEC in apparent response to the threatened boycott. Over the subsequent two weeks approximately a dozen corporations or foundations including the restaurant chain Wendy’s, Kraft Foods, McDonald’s, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the medical insurance group Blue Cross and Blue Shield had dropped support of ALEC. ALEC responded with a “Statement by ALEC on the Coordinated Intimidation Campaign Against Its Members”. By May 31, the list of corporations that had withdrawn support included Apple, Procter & Gamble and Wal-mart. NOT COMCAST ALEC MEMBER The president arrived at the Vineyard Golf Club at 10:55 am. His partners were Jim Kim, president of the World Bank, former US trade representative Ron Kirk, and Brian Roberts, CEO of Comcast. No Chappy residents were on hand to press Mr. Roberts for cable and Internet service. About an hour later, the first couple left Chilmark and traveled to the West Tisbury home of Mr. Roberts. He and his wife Aileen hosted the Obamas for cocktails, before the President and First Lady returned to State Road Restaurant, another Island favorite of theirs.
On April 17, 2012, ALEC announced that it was disbanding its Public Safety and Elections Task Force, which provided model policies for voter ID requirements and “stand your ground” gun laws. On April 18, the National Center for Public Policy Research announced the creation of a voter ID task force to replace the one discontinued by ALEC. The Martin shooting and subsequent boycott was described as a catalyst for ALEC to shift focus from social issues to economic ones.
Assertions about ALEC’s origin and funding
In 2012, Walter Mondale, former Democratic Vice President of the United States, and Arne Carlson, former Republican governor of Minnesota, referred in an op-ed piece to the political activities of the Koch family and ALEC, saying:
“[ALEC] is the creation of the Koch brothers who amassed their fortunes in oil and who live in Florida. The goal of ALEC is to influence legislators across the nation.”
The deal would repeal many of the mandatory minimum prison sentences now in place for lower-level drug felons.
March 26, 2009NYREGIONNEWS
In a debate over the Rockefeller drug laws, judges and prosecutors are wrestling to determine who will control access to alternative treatment programs for nonviolent offenders.
March 25, 2009NYREGIONNEWS
The New York State Assembly approved legislation to repeal laws that have required judges to impose mandatory prison terms for many nonviolent drug offenses.
March 5, 2009NYREGIONNEWS
Rockefeller Drug Laws Navigator
A list of resources from around the Web about the Rockefeller drug laws as selected by researchers and editors of The New York Times.
- Rockeller Drug Laws: Q & A
- Drug Policy Alliance
- Rockefeller Drug Laws Fact Sheet
- Partnership for Responsible Drug Information
- Public Defenders Fact Sheet
- New York State Defenders Association
- Drop the Rock
- Anti-Rockefeller Laws advocacy organization
- Real Reform
- Anti-Rockefeller Laws advocacy organization
- Yelp! Joins ALEC Amidst Ongoing Criticism (colorlines.com)
- Fitzgerald rejoins ALEC after short break (jsonline.com)
- Greenpeace applauds Senate examination of ALEC’s role in Stand Your Ground laws (greenpeaceblogs.org)
- Democrats unleash coordinated effort against voter ID laws (theblaze.com)
- ALEC Legislators – Make Poor Decisions (becauseican-2old2care.blogspot.com)
- ALEC Exposed via Arizona Eagletarian blog (blogforarizona.com)
- The American Legislative Exchange Council (pops-shots.net)
- OHIO: Koch, ALEC and Dirty Energy Co’s Attack Clean Energy Jobs (greenpeaceblogs.org)
- ALEC GAS TAX United States Chamber of Commerce 501(c) Organisation Coming After Money (Gas Tax ) For Political Campaign (ustaxpayerswill.wordpress.com)
- #UNITEBLUE : Assertions about ALEC’s origin and funding;Perpetuating Slavery Market in United States;stealing tax dollars to give to corporations (ustaxpayerswill.wordpress.com)