Obama Care, the Cure:
Vanguard Windsor II Investment Fund owns CCA. However, CCA is a minute part of the Vanguard Windsor II Funds. Vanguard Windsor is also invested in corporate giants like JP Morgan, IBM Pfizer and Conoco. This accounts for the Wall Street backing of privatized prisons and the subsequent lobbying for longer and stricter prison sentences which fuels this growth industry.
This makes the privatized prison industry a Wall Street backed growth opportunity.
Increasingly, the victims of this corrupt prison system are the youth of America.
Given that $80 billion is spent nationwide every year on incarceration, Obamacare could be a way to “bend the cost curve,” she said.
Research has shown that access to medical care, especially addiction and mental health services, helps reduce the likelihood that former criminals will offend again. That means lower incarceration costs.
Medicaid would cover drug and mental health treatment for residents of those first two states, but Texas opted out of the Medicaid expansion under Obamacare,excluding 1.5 million people. Twenty-four other states have declined or haven’t decided whether to participate in the Medicaid expansion.
For a state like Utah, which has a 54 percent recidivism rate — 10 percent higher than the national average — that decision could have a significant impact on whether it’s able to slow the justice system’s revolving doors.
Some residents of states that don’t go for the expansion “will slip through the cracks,
With ACA, we hope to see a reduction in recidivism and reduction in jail and prison time, which will also have savings in the justice system.”
“The reality is, we need to have education,” he said. “We need to educate the general members of the bench about the ACA and what it could mean for their system.”
- Life, Health Care, Prison and Cutting Costz (moorbey.wordpress.com)
- Prison Profiteers ~ Corporations Reap Billions from Mass Incarceration (financearmageddon.blogspot.com)
- The prison industrial complex (brasschecktv.com)
- Obama Care Cuts Into Alec Prison Industry Profits (ustaxpayerswill.wordpress.com)
- STOP GUV JERRY BROWN FROM FLIPPING CALIFORNIA TAX DOLLARS (NOT HIS MONEY) TO A ALEC PRISON INDUSTRY BUGET OF $315 million FOR MEDI-CAL DENTAL COVERAGE TO $16.9 (ustaxpayerswill.wordpress.com)
- Prison Industrial Complex (mybestessay1000.wordpress.com)
- STOP GOV JERRY BROWN Dental CARE BUDGET FOR CA MUST BE 315M SAY NO TO ALEC PRISON INDUSTRY (ustaxpayerswill.wordpress.com)
- The Middle Class Pay for the Cost of War and Prison Industry Not the Rich Who Profit From Both (ustaxpayerswill.wordpress.com)
- Bill Berkowitz – States Guarantee High Prison Populations for Private Prison Industry’s Profits (prn.fm)
- The prison industrial complex: How Wall Street profits from human misery (sott.net)